Wolfe, Michelle M.
Michelle Wolfe is an attorney in Varner & Brandt's Riverside Business Litigation Department. For over 20 years, Michelle has successfully tried a variety of civil and employment cases before both juries and arbitrators. Michelle also represents both public and private employers in complex litigation/class actions and unfair business practices. In addition, she provides preventive legal advice and counsel to employers and management on issues ranging from hiring, firing, policy making, wage and hour auditing and policy enforcement.
Among her many successes Michelle represented Union Oil Company (Unocal) in the landmark age discrimination case of Dan Esberg v. Union Oil Company of California (2002) 28 Cal. 4th 262. This case involved interpretation of the California Government Code § 12941 in the application of education benefits to an employee. The matter went before the California Supreme Court and ultimately resulted in legislative changes to the statute.
Recently an invited speaker at the 2010 Association of Southern California Defense Counsel-Annual Seminar, Michelle spoke on the topic of “Ethical and Cost/Benefit Considerations in Responsive Pleadings and Initial Discovery.”
Michelle received a Bachelor of Arts degree in Ancient Greek/Classics from the University of California at Santa Barbara. She earned her Juris Doctorate from Southwestern University School of Law and received the American Jurisprudence Award and served as an extern for the Honorable Arthur Greenwald, United States Bankruptcy, Central District.
Honors & Awards
- American Jurisprudence Award
Community Involvement & Pro Bono
- The State Bar of California Litigation Section Executive Committee, Member
- Dignity Group, Pro Bono
- Inland Empire Legal Association of Women (IE LAW), Vice President
- Pomona Valley Workshop, Board of Directors
- Camp Fire USA - San Antonio Council
- LA5 Rotary Club of Los Angeles
- California Constitutional Rights Foundation Mock Trial Programs, Volunteer
- Panel Speaker, New Employment and Labor Laws Seminar, Greater Riverside Chambers of Commerce, January 29, 2016
- Southwestern University School of Law, Los Angeles, California, JD, 1991
- University of California at Santa Barbara, California, BA, 1987
- The State Bar of California
- Riverside County Bar Association
- Western San Bernardino County Bar Association
3750 University Avenue, Sixth Floor
Riverside, CA 92501