Sean S. Varner, Managing Partner of Varner & Brandt, is a corporate and transactional attorney focusing his practice on corporate and business law, real estate, transactional law, contracts and mergers & acquisitions. With over 20 years of legal and business experience Sean takes time to know his clients and their goals and objectives. He handles numerous critical issues, including critical transactions, facing many different industries and clients including the technology sector, retail/food & beverage industry, real estate developers, restaurants, venture capitalists, entrepreneurs, officers and directors of corporations, and a variety of family-owned businesses. Sean also represents oversight boards in the winding down of redevelopment agencies. He strives to bring high value, focused advice and personalized attention to his clients.
When not practicing law, Sean enjoys spending time with his family and friends and supporting his talented daughters in their academic, athletic and artistic endeavors. He and his family also enjoy volunteering and serving the community together supporting various charitable organizations.
- Raised growth capital for a successful food manufacturing company to facilitate multi-million dollar monthly revenue increases.
- Assisted a major Southern California supermarket chain with a transaction that involved the sale of $285,000,000 in debt to institutional investors. Previously assisted the company with the refinancing and placement of $525,000,000 in notes to institutional investors.
- Helped a large produce supplier sell its company to a major retailer with complex international components to the transaction.
- Advised a local textile company on the sale of its business to an international competitor.
- Successfully helped a beverage company sell all of its assets to one of the premier beverage distributors in the United States. The transaction involved complex negotiations relating to distributor agreements, inventory, intangible assets, and real estate.
- Assisted the shareholder of a major distribution company, and related companies, in a transaction to sell all of its shares of stock to a private equity group.
- Assists a major Southern California supermarket chain with the acquisition, entitlement, financing and construction of a new corporate headquarters and related buildings in the former Norton Air Force Base, San Bernardino, California. This intricate transaction has involved the acquisition of land from private parties, the disposition of land from governmental entities, in depth and extensive discussions with a redevelopment agency, transacting with the United States government, negotiation of complex agreements with a master developer, negotiation of financing, negotiation with contractors and negotiation with unions.
- Represents the oversight boards of the successor agencies to the former redevelopment agencies of the City of Los Angeles and the City of Industry.
Honors & Awards
- AV Preeminent®, Peer Review Rated, Martindale-Hubbell®
Community Involvement & Pro Bono
- Young Presidents’ Organization, California Inland Empire Chapter, Board Member, two time Chairman, Education Chair, Membership Chair
- The Community Foundation Serving Riverside and San Bernardino Counties, Member and Secretary of the Board of Directors
- National Orange Show, Chairman of the Board of Directors
- UC Riverside Chancellor's Advisory Committee on Intercollegiate Athletics
- UC Riverside Athletics Association, Board of Directors
- San Bernardino County Sheriff’s Department, S.S.B. Deputy
- Riverside EXCITE Business Incubator, Secretary and member of the Board of Directors
- Inland Empire Center for Entrepreneurship, California State University San Bernardino, Advisory Board Member
- Boys and Girls Club of San Bernardino, Former Board of Directors Member
- HomeAid Inland Empire, Former Member of the Board of Directors
- Leadership Riverside, Graduate and Former Steering Committee Member
- Spirit of the Entrepreneur Awards, Former Judge
- Legends FC Riverside Soccer Club, Manager
- California State University, San Bernardino Graduate School of Management, Guest Lecturer
- Frequent speaker at mergers & acquisitions seminars and entrepreneurial groups
- CEQA After Two Decades: Relevant Problems and Ideas For Necessary Reform, 19 Pepperdine L. Rev. (1992) (reprinted in the National Law Anthology, Environmental Law Anthology, October 1993)
- Pepperdine University School of Law, JD cum laude, 1993
- University of California, Los Angeles, BA, 1989
- Cambridge University, England, Pembroke College
- American Bar Association
- The State Bar of California
- Riverside County Bar Association
- United States District Court (Central, Eastern, Southern, Northern Districts of California)
- Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals